The Stockman Painting Tutorial
In this painting tutorial of the Stockman, I break down the process for painting a variety of different textures and surfaces and it’s packed full of essential techniques, so you’ll come away with a better understanding of colour, light and form!
Prior to painting this picture the idea had been in my head for years – I wanted to create a painting that had a story and talked about relationship between man and beast. I love horses and country characters so this was a perfect opportunity to blend the two.
You will see how I created my own source material to use as inspiration for the piece, photographing my old neighbour. We tried multiple horses before settling on the one you now see in the painting.
Many technical challenges arose from the painting process and in this demonstration I’ll show you painting techniques on how to meet each one head on. From the design to the final details; the stages of this painting are laid out in an easy-to-follow sequence.
Your’ll learn how to paint different surfaces like leather and fur and how to make metallic objects shine and also create a sense of light and three-dimensional space! All this and more is covered in this 2 hour painting demonstration!
What you will learn
- I will show you the Materials I use for creating an oil painting from the paint and mediums to the brushes and grounds.
- You’ll see the entire painting process broken down in easy to understand steps, from the Sketch to blocking in and even applying the fine details.
- You’ll see up close how I use brushwork to define the subject
- I will show you my palette where Colour Mixing plays an important role in creating realism!
- I use many mediums in my process and here I keep it simple and share a tried and true application.
- The painting is built up to a rich surface by layering the paint over many passes.
- I show you how modelling with paint defines form creating a 3D scene!
- I show you how to paint incredible intricate detail in the horse and bridle and how to achieve elusive effects like light.
Are your tutorials good for beginners?
I make tutorials that everyone will gain something from. If you are a beginner, then this is a great place to start. You’ll no doubt learn some crucial techniques to accelerate your development as a painter. If you’re an advanced or professional artist you’ll come away with some new tricks refreshing your approach to creating paintings.
Can acrylic painters gain something from your tutorials?
Absolutely, whilst the mediums have their differences many of the concepts here are the same. It all comes down to colour and composition and these elements are universal in painting.
Do you talk about colour mixing?
Yes! Frequently. Colour mixing is important and intermittently through the presentation I show my palette and how I mix some of the colours in this painting
Can the viewer paint along with you?
You’re more than welcome to paint along. However I recommend using this tutorial as a guide to paint your own scenes and take these techniques to create your own unique vision. This will give you the nudge you need to take your paintings to the next level.
Do you show how to achieve details?
Yes, I have zoomed in to show some of these finer details being applied, particularly on the horse, the mans face and clothing
Does the download work for iPad?
Yes, you can use your iPad to view the download, though you will need to use the “FILES” application. Check out this video for pointers: https://youtu.be/NqmgKmEikpA
If I get stuck or need technical support can I contact you?
Absolutely, whether your question is painting related or a technical issue, we are here to help and only an email away!