The Southwest Seascape Tutorial
There’s nothing more dramatic than a thrashing seascape. This scene depicts the turbulent ocean complete with monumental waves breaking against rocks. In this 2-hour demonstration we’ll discuss some essential techniques for painting rocks and water rich with light and atmosphere!
One of my favourite things to paint is light glowing through a breaking wave. I think it’s an extraordinary effect that nature creates. The trick is: how do we recreate that with paint? Well, in this tutorial we’ll discuss that and much more!
When a wave breaks against a massive rock it shatters into a delicate spray, you will learn how I achieved this effect and also, how to paint a dramatic sky!
My essential seascape painting techniques are provided in this comprehensive presentation!
What you will learn
- I will show you the Materials I use for creating an oil painting from the paint and mediums to the brushes and grounds.
- You’ll see the entire painting process broken down in easy to understand steps, from the Sketch to blocking in and even applying the fine details.
- You’ll see up close how I use brushwork to define the subject.
- I will show you my palette where Colour Mixing plays an important role in creating realism!
- I use many mediums in my process and here I keep it simple and share a tried and true application.
- The painting is built up to a rich surface by layering the paint over many passes.
- I show you how modelling with paint defines form creating a 3D scene!
- I show you how to paint incredible intricate detail in the wave and rocks and how to achieve elusive effects like sea spray.
Q & A
Are your tutorials good for beginners?
I make tutorials that everyone will gain something from. If you are a beginner, then this is a great place to start. You’ll no doubt learn some crucial techniques to accelerate your development as a painter. If you’re an advanced or professional artist you’ll come away with some new tricks refreshing your approach to creating paintings.
Can acrylic painters gain something from your tutorials?
Absolutely, whilst the mediums have their differences many of the concepts here are the same. It all comes down to colour and composition and these elements are universal in painting
How much of the process do you share?
All of it! Whilst this presentation doesn’t show every single brushstroke I have filmed every stage of this painting. This piece took well over 100 hours; I boiled it down to the essential techniques into 2 hours!
Do you talk about colour mixing?
Yes! Frequently. Colour mixing is important and intermittently through the presentation I show my palette and how I mix some of the colours in this painting.
Can the viewer paint along with you?
You’re more than welcome to paint along. However I recommend using this tutorial as a guide to paint your own scenes and take these techniques to create your own unique vision. This will give you the nudge you need to take your paintings to the next level.
Do you show how to achieve details?
Yes, I have zoomed in to show some of these finer details being applied, particularly on the waves, the rocks and sky.
Does the download work for iPad?
Yes, you can use your iPad to view the download, though you will need to use the “FILES” application. Check out this video for pointers: https://youtu.be/NqmgKmEikpA
If I get stuck or need technical support can I contact you?
Absolutely, whether your question is painting related or a technical issue, we are only an email away!